GC#003: Health, Fundraising, and Market TurbulenceMar 29, 2023
Reading time: 6 minutes 55 seconds
Prefer hearing this newsletter? Have it read to you down here.
- Introduction - prioritising Health
- Navigating Market Turbulence
- Mental Health & Performance
- Getting Ready for the Future of Work
In this edition, I’ll cover five topics that I believe are of great importance to any founder or manager in a fast-growing tech company: health, fundraising, navigating market turbulence, performance, and getting ready for the Future of Work. As always, I know you are busy and I respect your time so this newsletter will be less than 7 minutes to read.
Section 1 - The Importance of Prioritising Health
As someone who has experienced a major health crisis, I cannot stress enough the importance of prioritising your health above all else. It's easy to get caught up in the demands of work and forget to take care of yourself, but in the end, our health is what truly matters.
As leaders, it's important to lead by example and make sure our teams are also taking care of themselves. We can't enjoy the fruits of our labor if our health isn't in order. I encourage you to share your health routines with others and make a commitment to prioritise your health every day. I share more on LinkedIn, read my Post 👉 Here
Section 2 - Fundraising Strategies for Startups
Venture Capital saw unprecedented growth in 2021, with investors pouring over $329 billion into startups of all kinds. While the pace may have slowed down, VC investors are still actively seeking promising companies to invest in and have substantial amounts of dry powder waiting for the next big thing.
Pitching your startup to investors can be daunting, but it's important to remember that fundraising is not about begging for charity. It's about sharing access to an incredible opportunity. As a founder, you need to focus on articulating your vision and building trust with investors. You need to showcase the potential of your product to generate revenue.
Kimberly Smith, Chief Capital Formation Officer at Techstars, has written a valuable article on how to pitch your startup to investors. Whether you're a first-time founder or a seasoned entrepreneur, take a moment to check it out and learn more about fundraising strategies. It could be the key to unlocking your next big investment opportunity. 👉 Read the .
Section 3 - Navigating Market Turbulence
Recent events have been nerve-wracking for many entrepreneurs, particularly those impacted by the Silicon Valley Bank crisis.
As someone who has been through tumultuous times myself, both as an entrepreneur and an executive, I want to share some thoughts on how founders can navigate the coming hours and days:
- Control what you can control. You obviously can't control what happens when the banks go down, but you can map out the different scenarios and develop a plan of action for each one.
Prioritise your employees. They are your most valuable asset, and they will be looking to you for leadership during these uncertain times.
- Communicate effectively. Keep your team informed of any updates or changes and make sure they know what's expected of them. I almost recommend over-communicating at this point.
Remember, as a founder, you have the power to shape the future. Don't be afraid to put yourself and your ideas out there. You never know what opportunities may come your way. 👉 Read My LinkedIn Post Here
If there's a way that I, or this community can assist you in this navigation, please do not hesitate to reach out! I'm always here for you.
Section 4 - Performance & Mindset
Entrepreneurship can be a challenging and stressful journey, and it's not uncommon for founders to face anxiety and stress. If you're currently dealing with pressure or anxiety, remember that you are not alone and things will get better.
Here are some practices that may prove useful in your journey:
- When stressed, try to identify trends and log the decisions you made.
- Remain focused on the big picture – you may find that some of your stress triggers are made redundant and less worrisome this way!
- Don’t focus on the fear (aka what you’re drifting towards), but rather the goal (where you want to go).
- Be empathetic and considerate towards your inner negative voice – not silencing it – and engage in positive self-support.
- Leverage breathing exercises (increases oxygen levels while lowering heart rate).
- Refrain from charging into “battle”; step back and calculate your next move.
How do you combat stress and/or an anxious imagination? Feel free to share. And if you know someone who may be struggling with anxiety or stress right now, send them this post. Let’s tackle these problems together! 👉 Read My LinkedIn Post Here.
If you’re looking to increase productivity and reduce stress, make sure you’re aware and use your favourite among these powerful time management techniques! 🚀
- The Eisenhower Matrix: This method helps prioritise tasks based on their level of urgency and importance. Tasks are categorised into four quadrants: urgent and important, important but not urgent, urgent but not important, and neither urgent nor important. This can help you focus on the most important tasks first and manage your time more effectively.
The GTD (Getting Things Done) method: This is a comprehensive system for managing tasks and information flow, helping to reduce stress by ensuring you have a clear understanding of what needs to be done and when.
Time blocking: Scheduling specific blocks of time for specific tasks can help you focus on one task at a time, avoid multitasking, and increase productivity.
The Pomodoro Technique: This involves working for 25-minute intervals, with short breaks in between, helping you stay focused and avoid burnout.
Habit stacking: This method involves adding a new habit to an existing habit, helping you build new habits and manage your time more effectively.
The two-minute rule: This rule states that if a task can be completed in two minutes or less, it should be done immediately, helping you avoid procrastination and increase productivity.
Mind mapping: This is a visual tool that helps you organise and prioritise tasks, breaking down complex tasks into smaller ones and prioritising them based on importance.
Section 5 - Getting Ready for The Future of Work
As leaders, we need to take responsibility for the impact that AI will have on our teams. If we don't prepare for the possibility of our team being made redundant by AI, then it will be our fault. We need to be proactive in reskilling our teams and finding new ways to add value.
Of course, AI can't do everything that people can do, but it's going to keep trying. As a leader, it's important to stay up-to-date on the latest AI technologies and think about how they can be leveraged to improve our operations and create new opportunities.
2020 has shown us that the future belongs to leaders who aren't scared or nostalgic. We can't cling to the past and hope that things will stay the same. Instead, we need to embrace change and be willing to take risks in order to stay ahead of the curve.
So, what do the leaders of the future need to know? Three main things:
- How to make others play well with one another.
- How to extract as much value from their team, with minimal friction.
- Who is performing the best and who might need extra attention.
If you can't relate to this, then I invite you to seriously start thinking about your leadership approach. AI is here to stay, and it's up to us as leaders to navigate this new landscape with confidence and vision.
I also wanted to let you know that we just finished recording the next episode of my Healthy Hypergrowth Vodcast featuring Sebastian Borek, a serial entrepreneur, investor, and mentor who has founded several companies and helped hundreds of startups and scale-ups grow rapidly. He is also a fitness enthusiast who believes that a healthy mind and body are essential for achieving success and happiness in life.
With over 20 years of experience building and accelerating over 100 startups, raising multimillion-dollar venture rounds, and achieving successful exits, Sebastian brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the table.
So stay tuned for more!
As we come to the end of another newsletter, I want to express my sincere gratitude for your continued support and engagement. Your feedback and insights are what make this platform so valuable for all of us striving towards success in hyper-growth and fast-growing technology companies.
I am constantly inspired by the innovation and progress that I see in our industry, and it is an honour to be able to contribute to your journey. Together, we are pushing boundaries, exploring new possibilities, and changing the world for the better.
As we move towards a future that’s more uncertain than ever, I encourage you to keep pushing the limits, embracing new challenges, and taking bold steps towards your goals. Remember that success is not just about achieving a destination, but also about the journey along the way.
Thank you once again for your support, and I look forward to our continued growth and success together. 🚀
Anna C Mallon 🌼
Whenever you're ready, there are two further ways I can help you:
- Get or increase traction in your business, productivity or career with a 1:1 Clinic together for rapid support through a 60-minute call. I promise we'll work on getting you instant clarity, and high impact actionable strategies.
- Promote your offering to 10k+ subscribers: by sponsoring this newsletter. Contact us here at email@example.com.